Moving towards NetworkManager

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Thu Jul 28 13:10:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 08:21:03AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 06:52:05AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> >> Type: select
> >> Choices-C: nm_config, ifupdown, loopback
> >> Choices: Network Manager, ifupdown (/etc/network/interfaces), No
> >> network configuration
> >> Specifies what kind of network connection management tool should be
> >> configured post-installation if multiple are available. Automatic
> >> selection is used in this order when not specified: network-manager if
> >> available (on Linux only), ethernet configuration through ifupdown on wired
> >> installation and loopback configuration through ifupdown on wireless
> >> installations.
> >
> > I see.
> >
> > But how is this supposed to work when NM is not packaged on the install CD?
>
> The CD uses e-n-i but the installed system's set up for NM.

Currently, I use this:

  jw at tm:/$ egrep "^d-i +netcfg" patches/*.seed
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/choose_interface select eth0
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/dhcp_failed note
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/dhcp_options select Configure network manually
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/get_hostname    seen false
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/get_domain      seen false
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/get_domain      string nonexisting.domain
  patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/wireless_wep string
  jw at tm:/$

so, I'd simply throw all this away and use only:

  d-i netcfg/target_network_config nm_config

Is this right?

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de