Moving towards NetworkManager

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Thu Jul 28 21:21:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 03:10:25PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:

> Currently, I use this:
>
>   jw at tm:/$ egrep "^d-i +netcfg" patches/*.seed
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/choose_interface select eth0
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/dhcp_failed note
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/dhcp_options select Configure network manually
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/get_hostname    seen false
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/get_domain      seen false
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/get_domain      string nonexisting.domain
>   patches/generic.seed:d-i netcfg/wireless_wep string
>   jw at tm:/$
>
> so, I'd simply throw all this away and use only:
>
>   d-i netcfg/target_network_config nm_config
>
> Is this right?

Looks like

   d-i netcfg/target_network_config select nm_config

needs to be used IN ADDITION to the other settings.

And network-manager needs to be installed with late_command. Without this, the
first reboot won't have network.

Installing network-manager will pull a graphical desktop. Thats not the best
decision for a server :-()

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de