Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Jul 21 18:02:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 18:44:43 +0200
Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 July 2016 at 18:13, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
> > It kind of is. The ESP (EFI System Partition) is where EFI
> > bootloaders are stored, as UEFI does not store these in the MBR. If
> > you want to boot at all, you need this.
>
> Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I'm not that familiar with
> UEFI systems!

I'm still learning about them myself :)

> Question: do you need one on every drive? Or every drive that you
> boot off?

You just need one. Each OS has an entry in a EFI firmware variable used
by the EFI boot manager (also firmware). They each point to a
bootloader that is typically stored in a separate subdir on the ESP.
These then load the OS, which can be another drive (as long as that
particular bootloader doesn't expect the system to be on the same
drive, that would be horribly designed).

Petter

--
"Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done." --Anne Onymous