Customize alternate install CD with UEFI?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:57:56 UTC 2016

On 20 July 2016 at 09:52, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> I am trying to create a customized install CD based on
> ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso
>
> According to http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Isohybrid#UEFI I
> need the isolinux/efiboot.img file to make this iso bootable with UEFI.
>
> But there is no such file on the original ubuntu install CD. Where do I get
> it?

Are you sure?

I have recently been using Ubuntu 16.04 on my Mac mini. This is a
64-bit UEFI x86 machine.

The standard 64-bit Ubuntu install DVD image is UEFI bootable. I put
it on a USB key and it happily boots both x86-64 PCs with a BIOS and
the Mac with UEFI and no BIOS.

All the files necessary for UEFI boot are in the image and the Mac's
firmware offers the USB key as a "UEFI boot" device.

> While at it: the partitioner on ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso don't seem to be
> aware of the UEFI partitions?

There are no such things as UEFI partitions as such.

UEFI normally works with GPT partitions, i.e. with a GUID partitioning scheme.

A boot disk for a UEFI machine normally contains a special hidden UEFI
boot partition with a nonvolatile copy of some EFI firmware parameters
in it.

Which of these do you mean?

Ubuntu 16.04 understands GUID partitioning just fine and it will see,
but ignore, the EFI boot partition.