cannot file a bug report...

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 18 20:24:21 UTC 2016

On Monday 18 July 2016 14:16:13 Peter Silva wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Monday 18 July 2016 11:32:23 Peter Silva wrote:
> >> Just discovered my ethernet card (which is disconnected) consumes
> >> 19 watts on my laptop.  when I do sudo rmmod r8168 after about ten
> >> minutes the laptop is completely cool, normal consumption is
> >> something like 11W for the whole machine now (was 24W before.)
> >> Checked through the db and it does not appear to be an existing
> >> bug.
> >>
> >> ubuntu-bug r8168-dkms
> >
> > It was, I believe, previously noted in the thread about the battery
> > button. 19 watts, in the physical space occupied by the usual
> > ethernet port, would quite likely start a fire.
> >
> > The rest of that report seems to be fairly accurate. So just ignore
> > the ethernet as line one, Its bogus as a $3 bill in these parts.
>
> That's what I thought initially, which is why I wrote that it was
> bogus, but I fixed it anyways.
> After removing the kernel module and waiting 30 minutes, the laptop
> which formerly ran warm to the touch, is now cool to the touch, so I'm
> inclined to believe it was actually accurate.   This particular laptop
> is always plugged in, so I would not have noticed battery life issues,
> but I had long notice that it was hotter than I expected for a given
> load.

Sounds odd to me for sure.  But then one of the first things I install
after a new install, is enough stuff to be able to get sensible answers
from Gkrellm, which I have set at about a 1.25 inches wide on the right
edge of every screen. I can check the health of a whole bunch of stuff
on this system without even switching to a different screen.  cpu
things it watches is ethernet traffic.  And disk traffic.

That triggers an old old memory Peter. I recall at one point that
apparently I did not have the resources ARP uses correctly configured,
so while my networking did work, it was haveing a battle with ARP at the
same time doing a continuous query/reply.  Oddly, from this machine, to
this machine.

But I believe that was far enough back that I was still playing the lab
rat for Fedora. I finally got tired of bleeding to death from a thousand
paper cuts and bailed for Mandrake at just about the time they were
pulling the plug.  I've had several installs since, finally winding up
on the same install dvd we install Linuxcnc from, which is wheezy based
& uses those repo's.  And I am enjoying the stability that gives me.

So you might fire up wireshark or even tcpdump to watch that interface
and see if anything like that is going by at about 10ee33 fenceposts a
second.

It might be informative as to the why its vacuuming up every watt the psu
can spare.  But for ARP questions, if thats it, I'll have to defer to
someone well versed in ARP.

Stay well Peter.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)