cannot file a bug report...

Peter Silva peter at bsqt.homeip.net
Mon Jul 18 18:16:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> On Monday 18 July 2016 11:32:23 Peter Silva wrote:
>
>> Just discovered my ethernet card (which is disconnected) consumes
>> 19 watts on my laptop.  when I do sudo rmmod r8168 after about ten
>> minutes the laptop is completely cool, normal consumption is something
>> like 11W for the whole machine now (was 24W before.)   Checked through
>> the db and it does not appear to be an existing bug.
>>
>> ubuntu-bug r8168-dkms
>>
> It was, I believe, previously noted in the thread about the battery
> button. 19 watts, in the physical space occupied by the usual ethernet
> port, would quite likely start a fire.
>
> The rest of that report seems to be fairly accurate. So just ignore the
> ethernet as line one, Its bogus as a $3 bill in these parts.

That's what I thought initially, which is why I wrote that it was
bogus, but I fixed it anyways.
After removing the kernel module and waiting 30 minutes, the laptop
which formerly ran warm to the touch, is now cool to the touch, so I'm
inclined to believe it was actually accurate.   This particular laptop
is always plugged in, so I would not have noticed battery life issues,
but I had long notice that it was hotter than I expected for a given
load.