Battery Working, but not Charging

Martin Weinberg martin.weinberg at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 13:28:35 UTC 2016

I've seen many Thinkpads running 14.04 through 16.04 with out any
battery issues.  I'm familar with both an X220 and an T440s and they
both work correctly.  Specifically, the indicator-power panel app does
what it should.

The "Unknown" state is not necessarily a problem; for newer Thinkpads,
the acpi module isn't able to determine the state from the reported
battery info. For my X220, setting the thresholds (with tlp) causes acpi
to report "Unknown" when the charging stops at the desired threshold.  I
suppose that acpi module determines that the battery is not full, but
the charge is not increasing and calls it "Unknown".  Newer kernels seem
to call this "Unknown (threshold effective)", the last bit, I assume, to
provide a clue to the user about the cause of the "Unknown".

I suggest trying the laptop in a variety of states, ac plugged,
unplugged, discharging, recharging to make sure that you really have a
problem.

I also recommend looking at the output of "acpi -V" rather than "acpi"

Also, the output of "sudo tlp-stat" may provide some clues.