How to restore the MBR after do-release-upgrade?

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:22:45 UTC 2016

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:50:13 +1000, blind Pete wrote:
>>I don't think that the kernel does depend on grub.
>
> recommends of
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/linux-image-4.4.0-28-lowlatency
> and
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/linux-image-4.4.0-28-generic
> are
>   grub-pc [amd64]
>   GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
>   or grub-efi-amd64
>   GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 version)
>   or grub-efi-ia32
>   GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-IA32 version)
>   or grub
>   GRand Unified Bootloader (Legacy version)
>   or lilo
>   LInux LOader - the classic OS boot loader
>
> I had
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/linux-image-4.2.0-41-lowlatency
> installed and no bootloader at all, so do-release-upgrade installed the
> recommended GRUB package.
>
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:38:08 +1000, blind Pete wrote:
>>What have you got?  What do you want?
>
> Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate your effort. Unfortunately
> I already know this. Btw. once startup finished and after
> checking /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, there's no doubt which HDD is sda and
> which is sdb, apart from this, a lot of systems, e.g. mine are very
> stable, the order never changed.

There is always the chance that one of your grubs has a new bug
and has become "confused".

> What I actually want, is that Ubuntu gets rid of enforcing a
> bootloader install

You are going to have trouble convincing Ubuntu to release an
installation image that allows installing without a bootloader.
Maybe after an "are you really really sure" question they would
do it.  Newbies who would get that wrong far outnumber mult-booters
like us who want to leave the mbr alone.

> and I would like to fix the FreeBSD install.

That is well beyond me.

> GRUB does
> chainload the FreeBSD loader, but most likely during the Ubuntu release
> upgrade something went wrong, now the FreeBSD loader can't mount a
> slice anymore. The FreeBSD install is installed to /dev/sda1.

You might need the FreeBSD rescue CD, if such a thing exists.

Could anything have "fixed" the partition ordering, if partition
number one was not at the start of the disk it might now be
partition number two, or three, or four, or 97.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...