16.04 sound problem

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 7 15:50:55 UTC 2016

Since upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04 I have had difficulty with getting
sound from my monitor.

I can get sound by playing a file via Audacity, but I cannot get sound via
Firefox or Chromium browsers when I try to look at an online video, e.g.
YouTube.

I notice that pulse-audio is not running by default, and there is no entry
in /etc/init.d

If I start pulseaudio from the command line, and then go into the sound
app, I can use the test speaker option and get sound OK. But I still can't
get browser sound.

So, should pulseaudio be running by default?  If so, how do I fix this?

How do I get sound in Firefox?

I'm using the nvidia sound card and this is clearly recognised by the
system.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber