Ubuntu 16.04 LTS cannot shut down

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Fri Jul 1 06:22:41 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-30 21:50, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 30 June 2016 at 19:34, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
>> the noswitch parameter that Liam suggested doesn't exist.
>> I haven't found it online. I tried it "just for fun" and
>> it wouldn't even boot
>

> I do apologise.
>
> It's "nomodeswitch". It disables kernel screen-mode switching.

status as of yesterday evening:

nomodeswitch had no effect at all. Not even reboot works (I forgot to
mention
it earlier, clicking on reboot has the same freezing effect as clicking
shutdown)

In terms of kernel parameters, the least bad so far is acpi=off. With
this, the
shutdown process at least starts (see earlier email about "white dots
turning red")

Installing older/newer kernels: I'm trying to avoid that for now,

I have followed the final suggestion here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-settings-daemon/+bug/1546641

so I updated kernel and other packages with that extra repository,
but in and by itself (ie with no extra kernel parameters) it makes NO
difference.

This was yesterday. Today:

updated as above +

nomodeswitch => no difference
acpi=off     => no difference, plus something that did not happen with
this
                 option before kernel update: makes desktop unusable,
                 screws compiz apparently. Sometimes, I can open a
terminal in
                 unity, but not even type into it. Others, video playback
                 doesn't work..
noacpi       => no difference

I am quite close to give up on Ubuntu and just try another distro. No
recrimination,
critics, none of the sort. It's just lack of time: I leave for a
business trip on Monday,
and by then  I DO need a working linux laptop to come with me. But I'd
really like
to try Ubuntu. Any other suggestion is still very appreciated, and I may
try it when
I come back.

Thanks,
Marco