Rebooting after an upgrade? - Was: update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Jan 2 14:24:09 UTC 2016

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 13:10:00 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Petter,
>
> even if people shouldn't care about spins of HDDs or the time needed
> to reboot, what is the purpose to reboot after an upgrade, if it isn't
> needed?

I never said that was necessary. All I said was that avoiding disk
spin-down/up is not a very good reason to avoid a reboot. Why is it so
important to you that people don't reboot unless absolutely necessary?

For the vast majority of people, it's much easier to just think
"if I'm prompted to reboot, then reboot" than to worry about what
packages were updated and what services need to be restarted. They
might feel safer knowing that security updates have been properly
applied, and that is a perfectly valid reason.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"