Rebooting after an upgrade? - Was: update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jan 2 12:10:00 UTC 2016

Hi Petter,

even if people shouldn't care about spins of HDDs or the time needed to
reboot, what is the purpose to reboot after an upgrade, if it isn't
needed?

Do you think that many Linux users agree, that generally rebooting after
each upgrade should be suggested?

Usually exiting software that was upgraded or does link against
libraries that were updated and restarting it, or if the login shell
(bash) was upgraded, logging out and in, is all that is required.

There is a script that helps to determine apps that need to be
restarted after an upgrade. Note, I never used this script myself.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/man1/checkrestart.1.html
http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/debian-goodies

Some users, even the so called "averaged users", aren't Windows
refugees, so it doesn't make sense to recommend something non-standard
for Linux, IMO it's neither good to recommend this to Windows refugees.

Sometimes apps don't free memory, but they could do this even if you
exited or killed them without an upgrade, this isn't related to
upgrades, IOW you could recommend to restart the machine each time you
close an app, especially if an app didn't work correctly.

While even a kernel upgrade, or driver upgrades don't require to restart
the machine, I wouldn't use kexec or similar and reboot an "averaged
user's" computer.

Regards,
Ralf