update-manager --no-focus-on-map ??

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Jan 1 23:00:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-01 at 22:08 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 January 2016 at 16:33, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> > even the average home user probably does
> > regularly:
> Er, no. Not even remotely. Not even a tiny little bit.

Colin, Liam, Ralf

You have your opinions on the benefits of more RAM. My main point is
just that more RAM is the "simplest, cheapest and easiest way to improve
the performance of almost any personal computer". Obviously if you
already have oodles of RAM and the computer is still not up to par, you
may need a better processor or whatever, but *in general* more RAM will
help.

> Why not? Because I absolutely do not believe that these are "ordinary"
> things that "the average home user" does.

We can argue all day about what "the average user" does or does not do.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as an "average Linux user". Sure,
that mythical beast probably doesn't do all the things I mentioned, but
it would be a rare one that doesn't do some of them, especially video
and image processing, and "running lots of stuff". I'm not talking
industrial scale here - just prepping that video from the party by
putting a few titles over it and downsizing it, or cropping the two
hundred photos that came back from the holidays.

4GB is probably enough for most people, 8GB even more so. But if your
computer seems slow, look to the RAM first. And I definitely stand by my
statement that if you are getting a new computer, get as much RAM as you
can afford, or make sure it can accept more later, and definitely
prioritise RAM over disk.

Regards, K.

PS: Ralf, video processing is absolutely "a Linux domain". Pretty much
every animated feature film of the last decade or more has been rendered
on Linux render farms. Not your average users though :-)

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4