Linux, Lenovo, AMD Radeon

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Feb 27 12:21:40 UTC 2016

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 22:57:53 +1100
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-02-27 at 09:16 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> > > Sad face :-(
>
> Progress of sorts. Ubuntu 15.10 gets much further - it boots, though
> it issues an error message ("not a COM32R image") and I have to hit
> Tab and type "live-install" at the boot: prompt.

I have no idea what this means, sorry. Searches only seem to turn up
fairly old hits.

> The reason I haven't tried a lot of things is that after installing
> 15.10 and rebooting, there is no boot menu - it's as if the only
> installed OS is Windows. This seems to be a common problem on zillions
> of platforms, so perhaps Uncle Google can help me there.

Is it possible that Windows is installed in UEFI mode (it almost
certainly is) and Ubuntu was installed in BIOS/CMS/Legacy mode? If that
is the case, the easiest solution is to reinstall Ubuntu in UEFI mode.
Alternatively, set the UEFI firmware to boot in CMS/Legacy mode to
start Ubuntu, and install grub-efi. See [1] for a ton of information on
this. You will need to mount the ESP[2] on /boot/efi before you install
grub-efi, though.

> > proprietary drivers. If you have the option of returning the machine
> > for one with an integrated Intel GPU I would seriously consider
> > it.
>
> I think it's working enough, provided I can get dual boot working and
> figure out the wifi.

What does lcpci say about the wifi chipset?

> Any helpful clues on getting dual boot working would be gratefully
> accepted :-)

Again, [1]. There is probably an equivalent page on the Ubuntu wiki,
but the Arch wiki tends to provide a lot of technical information that
can be helpful but is often left out of Ubuntu wiki pages.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
[2] EFI System Partition

Petter

--