update manager refuses to upgrade kernel to newer version

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 14 00:26:40 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Samstag, den 13.02.2016, 23:59 +0100 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> 1. I'm not using a bootloader package:
>
> [root at moonstudio weremouse]# dpkg -l grub-pc | grep ii
> ii  grub-pc        2015:09-06-moonstudio all          Dummy package

any reason why you use a dummy package ? grub-pc is at best a
recommends which will not get re-installed once you removed it manually
(unless you make the mistake to manually install the most bottom layer
linux-image package by hand (which you should not do if you want
functioning upgrades), then you would need to use --no-install
-recommends to prevent it from coming back)

> 2. Even if I would use a bootloader package, then I wouldn't
experience
> the bug, since I wouldn't use grub in such an environment as the OP
> does.

well, you claim it is a bug that grub cant work if it does not know
about attached hardware due to missing /dev when the probe and search
tool runs. how would grub install to its target device without any info
about the existing hardware ?

> 3. I expect that somebody maintaining GRUB2 or making GRUB2 a
> dependency for a kernel package is aware about well known issues.

see 1) ... it is no dependency, it is a recommends that you can remove
at any time.

ciao
	oli