update manager refuses to upgrade kernel to newer version

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Feb 13 22:59:07 UTC 2016

Colin, could you stop dissing and instead of continuing that off-topic
nonsense just stay on topic or shut up?

Oli, JFTR it's a GRUB bug known since a very long time I guess you
are able to use a search engine on your own and it's not me who has got
an issue, but another user. If this bug is unknown by Ubuntu developers
nobody should expect me to report it. Instead of just quoting an
incomplete sentence you should read the complete information and try to
understand the context.

1. I'm not using a bootloader package:

[root at moonstudio weremouse]# dpkg -l grub-pc | grep ii
ii  grub-pc        2015:09-06-moonstudio all          Dummy package

2. Even if I would use a bootloader package, then I wouldn't experience
the bug, since I wouldn't use grub in such an environment as the OP
does.

3. I expect that somebody maintaining GRUB2 or making GRUB2 a
dependency for a kernel package is aware about well known issues.