Title bar/menu problem on 14.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:05:26 UTC 2016

On 10 February 2016 at 20:26, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 02/10/2016 12:16 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:

>>> Another question.  In gedit, do you see the text in the title bar
>>> change from the filename to the menu items when you hover the mouse
>>> over it?  Also you should see the equivalent in the other apps.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>

>> In gedit I see the menus and the filename all of the time. Even if gedit
>> is just open and does not have focus I see both the menus and the file
>> name. The behavior you describe is what I see in Firefox,tbird and
>> libreoffice.
>>
>> For example right now I am composing this reply in a separate window in
>> Thunderbird right along side of the main thunderbird window. In the
>> title bar of the unfocused thunderbird I see a reference to this gmane
>> news group.  If I click on thunderbird to focus it the menus would appear.
>>
>> If it was not for the fact that I see the same thing on a live cd, I
>> would think it was do to a setting I changed, it is really weird. Both
>> of my machines are HP. I can't imagine that that would make a
>> difference, but just to check. My daughter left her Lenovo laptop here
>> and I will try the live cd on it.
>>
>> Regards,  Jim
>>

> Update:
>
> I loaded the live cd on the Lenovo and it behaves just the same as on my two
> HP's
>
> While I had the live cd out and used it on my two HP's just to be sure and I
> have to make a couple of corrections.
>
> On the hp laptop I originally said the touchpad did not exhibit the drop
> down menu problem. Now I see that it does, but you have to do a really slow
> click to see the problem.

I wish you would try and be more quantitative with your answers.  What
do you mean by 'really slow'.  The pointer /should/ change to a hand
after about 1/3 second, so if by really slow you mean about 1/3 second
then that is the correct behaviour (as I understand it anyway).

> when running the live cd on the 2 hp's I see that gedit and the terminal do
> exhibit the drop down menu problem. The first time I ran the live ck on them
> I don't think I checked gedit and teminal. I think I just checked firefox.
>
> On the installed version of Ubuntu 14.04 on my 2 hp's in gedit and terminal
> (which I said do not have the drop down menu problem) looking more closely I
> see that the menus are not in the titlebar, they are in a traditional
> menubar.

So am I correct to summarise the situation that the only issue is that
with the mice (on Ubuntu/Unity) when you hold the mouse button down it
changes to a hand much quicker than the expected 1/3 second (along
with the repercussions that follow from that)?

Colin