Pulseaudio sound across network

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:14:50 UTC 2016

On 9 February 2016 at 12:12, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I  am trying to get pulseaudio to allow playing sound from one PC
> (Ubuntu 5.10) to another (Ubuntu 14.04).  Following instructions found
> in various places I have installed paprefs and pavucontrol and on the
> server (the one with the speakers), in paprefs I have enabled network
> access to local sound devices, allow other machines to discover local
> devices, don't require authentication.  On the client I have enable
> Make discoverable network devices available locally.  I believe that
> now the server device should appear in client pavucontrol but it does
> not.
>
> Pulseaudio daemon is running in both machines.  No obvious errors in syslog.
>
> Any suggestions?

Following some more googling I used, on the client
avahi-browse -t --all | grep PulseAudio
which showed that the server was making it's devices available
and then
pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink "server=<server ip address>"
and then it worked.

I would still be interested in understanding the issue.

Colin