Pulseaudio sound across network

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Feb 9 14:30:54 UTC 2016

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 14:14:50 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>On 9 February 2016 at 12:12, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I  am trying to get pulseaudio to allow playing sound from one PC
>> (Ubuntu 5.10) to another (Ubuntu 14.04).  Following instructions
>> found in various places I have installed paprefs and pavucontrol and
>> on the server (the one with the speakers), in paprefs I have enabled
>> network access to local sound devices, allow other machines to
>> discover local devices, don't require authentication.  On the client
>> I have enable Make discoverable network devices available locally.
>> I believe that now the server device should appear in client
>> pavucontrol but it does not.
>>
>> Pulseaudio daemon is running in both machines.  No obvious errors in
>> syslog.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
>Following some more googling I used, on the client
>avahi-browse -t --all | grep PulseAudio
>which showed that the server was making it's devices available
>and then
>pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink "server=<server ip address>"
>and then it worked.
>
>I would still be interested in understanding the issue.

Ubuntu Studio ships with jackd + pulseaudio, so some of those in the
team or community who are pro pulseaudio might be able to explain it.
Perhaps they would recommend to use netJack instead, I don't know. I'm
not using audio networks.

However, special kinds of audio usage, such as audio over a network are
a niche. I would ask at

or