Upgrading from Hardy

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Feb 1 20:28:24 UTC 2016

Gregory Gamble wrote:
> I may very well try a from scratch upgrade. I'm just worried if it
> doesn't work I may just have to buy a new PC ... which may well be my
> best option anyway.
>
> I did burn Lucid to a CD ... which just manages to fit being under
> 700MB ... the later ones don't fit anymore. I'm really getting the
> message "old tech."
>
> I tried booting from the CD ... it just went dead on me. So that's not
> promising.
>
> Thanks for your advice ... I'll probably come back to it after copying
> trusty to a portable hard drive.

Do you have a DVD drive? Then you can burn the trusty ISO to a DVD-R(W)
or as an alternative you could write it to a USB stick - provided your
machine would boot from USB. Then you have two options: Either you write
the ISO to the USB stick with dd, overwriting all the data on the stick.
Or as an alternative you can make the stick bootable with grub and copy
the ISO file to the USB stick [1].

Nils

[1] <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2015-April/280372.html>