Accessing a DOS computer via a network

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Aug 29 16:04:22 UTC 2016

> I am going to try to find a card newer card with BNC

> and RJ-45, but I am concerned about the setup.

I used to install bnc networks, and crimped the ends myself. Depending on
who crimped them, they were not always the most reliable cabling.

Ah, the good old days...

Anyway, RJ-45 works the same way to the OS, so you only have to worry about
the drivers for the card. The Intel and Realtek cards are widely supported.

Be sure to test the SMART info on those old drives if they support it, to
see if they are failing. You can boot a CD with a modern OS like Ubuntu on
the machine and use the tools, without disturbing the freedos OS.