Volatile certificates?

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Aug 27 15:06:09 UTC 2016

Am Samstag, 27. August 2016, 15:32:07 CEST schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:12:37 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> >Should I simply trust the two new certificates? Is it usual for
> >certificates to change a lot?
>
> On one hand it is usual that I sometimes need to accept new
> certificates several times a day and sometimes not for years, on the
> other hand regarding your other request, you need to be careful ;).

This is bad, since the web.de and gmail.com certificates seem to belong to the
first category. It means that I have to edit the fetchmail config files all the
time. :-(

> However, free email address providers such as gmail anyway scan the
> content of your mails for marketing misuse, store them, even if you
> deleted them and they will give the mails to the NSA, if they wish to
> get your mails from gmail.

I have that gmail account only, because it had to be created when I set up my
Android smartphone. I don't use it at all, but someone (Google?) might send me
a mail in that account, someday.

I have a web.de account, because I wanted webmail. Now it's mostly a spam
catcher.

> I accept new certificates without
> verification, but I don't use emails or the computer for sensible data.

I have my scanned/photographed correspondence on my computer. That's very
handy. I wouldn't want to entrust it to a windows machine, thought.

bye,
Volker