Upgrading to 16.04

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Aug 20 07:11:04 UTC 2016

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:26:44 +1000, Peter wrote:
>The virtual box kernal modules do not match this version of
>VirtualBox.

I already mentioned kernel modules and dkms, so I would expect that you
did some research and would have checked

  dkms status; uname -r

and then tried to build the virtualbox modules for the currently
running kernel, first by

 sudo dkms autoinstall

and then by running

 sudo dkms install vboxhost/$(echo $(dpkg -l virtualbox-5.1|grep ii)|cut -d" " -f3|cut -d- -f1)

without the "$(echo $(dpkg -l virtualbox-5.1|grep ii)|cut -d" " -f3|cut
-d- -f1)", I would expect you to replace it by the version in plain
text.

Likely you got a message that dkms.conf does not exist.

You perhaps then used a search engine and found this information

  https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html

and tried running

  sudo rcvboxdrv setup

If not, then try running

  sudo rcvboxdrv setup

now and after that try running

  sudo vboxreload

or

  sudo modprobe -rv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci vboxdrv
  sudo modprobe -av vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci

or

  restart the computer.

>Does this mean I have to recreate my Virtual machines

Please, if we want to help you, we need to read your mails, don't make
them unnecessarily long by repeating issues or by blind guesses.

Instead please do what I ask you to do, always copy and past the
_complete_ commands and their complete output.

I'm quite sure you got more output, than you posted.

Regards,
Ralf