is it possible to "upgrade" a linux box, by just overwriting everything from an other ISO?

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Fri Aug 19 13:55:46 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I have a minix appliance (neo z64, intel Z3735F) with android KitKat 4.4.4.

Now I would like to install a Linux onto it.

I managed to install ubuntu 14.1 and 16.04 by creating bootable stick.
although with both OS'ses no network is found.

What I really would like to do, is to install an actual version of ipfire.

Unfortunately I could not make the appliance boot from the stick, when
the stick was created with ipfire.

I believe, this is because the appliance needs an uefi boot sequence,
which ipfire does not provide

now some questions:

is it possible to copy the uefi stuff from say selinux, to make the
stick provide an uefi boot sequenc?

if not, can I just clean out everything from ubuntu and replace it with
ipfire some how.

thanks

robert