Upgrading to 16.04

Peter petergoggin at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 19 01:48:57 UTC 2016

I am having trouble with Virtual Box.  Originally using ubuntu 14.04
(32) bit the repository version of Virtual Box worked without problems.
My windows software in the virtual machine is XP and XP office. I was
able to see and use all usb devices connected to the laptop.  I upgraded
with some problems to Ubuntu 16.04 (32 bit) and then to Ubuntu 16.04 64
bit.

The virtual machine version in the repositoy is 5.04-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.1.

This version does not let me access the usb devices. They are listed in
the settings for the virtual machine and the printers appear in the
windows control panel, but all attempts to print fail. I could not find
an extensions package for this version.

I then downloaded and installed
virtualbox-5.1_5.1.4-110228~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64deb.  The installation
failed. I have tried several download from various sites, with the same
result.

How do I install VB 5.1 or how do I make VB 5.04 work with the USB devices?

Should I recreate the virtual machine using 5.04? The virtual machine is
the same that ran under 14.04 32 bit. It was copied from the last bachup
of the 32 bit system.

Thanks

Peter Goggin