System requirements - Was: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 10 14:08:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:50:07 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> enough for pro-audio, as 4 GiB of RAM are either, the frequency
>> scaling governor just needs to be at a fixed frequency, usually
>> "performance".
>why ? do you not trust the kernel devs ? the ondemand governor will do
>the right thing if needed and not waste power when not needed ...

That's nonsense, on most machines it does cause xruns. It's a well
known issue. JFTR there nearly is no difference in power consumption
between ondemand and performance on many machines, I anyway recommend
to use it when not doing real-time audio work.

>well, up to you ... if your employer bills ... say $400/h for you and
>you can explain to the customer that he has to pay this extra amount
>because your hardware is slow to build that firefox security fix for
>him thgat he needs today ...

If he's willing to pay you $400/h to get a fix for Firefox, he needs an
honest consultant to chose another browser and to get rid of a coder
like you.

>or if you can explain to your family why you spend 1h more working
>every day for saving a bit on the hardware .... sure ... totally your
>choice :)

That's an absurd claim. If you bought a suitable computer <= 5 years
ago, an up-to-date computer doesn't safe you 1 hour today, at least not
for compiling software such as Firefox.

Regards,
Ralf