Out of Space

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 10 10:39:48 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 09.08.2016, 23:22 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 22:33:21 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >
> > well, i tend to replace my workstation about every 4-5 years,
> > though i
> > professionally use it and earn my money doing development on it
> Hi,
>
> it doesn't matter if a computer is used for development or by an
> end user.

well, i beg to disagree ...
https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/ubuntu/red/+build/10539905
(see the "Finished" line)

it makes quite some difference if your system is powerful enough to
build something like firefox or libreoffice in 1-2h less when you need
to verify a bugfix locally and colleagues are possibly waiting for you
as well ;)

...or if local your test iso build is done in 1.5h or just in 20min
when you work on the installer and can only test it from a fresh iso

having good hardware can make a significant difference in your work
speed (and thus in costs) when doing development ...

ask a craftsman if he uses tools from the next home-improvement center
or if he prefers professional parts in his toolbox instead (a good
craftsman can surely also work with the cheap stuff but has to be more
careful the tools wont be as precise etc). a developer machine is a
tool and its quality can have a significant impact on costs and time...

ciao
	oli