Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Aug 8 16:55:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 17:26:45 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>I have done it many times with no problems.

It never caused issues for me, too. Perhaps Gene misunderstands, that
we manually need to assign what directory belongs to what partition.
IIRC if we assign it manually, we are free to format or not format the
chosen partition. However, even if we chose to format a partition, it
doesn't get resized. IOW if we assign /boot to a 500 GiB partition, we
could, but don't need to format it. Assuming we are formatting it, it
will remain 500 GiB. I don't remember the exact layout of the
installer's partitioning and assignment tool. Last time I used it from
the server install ISO of 15.10 development.

I seemingly remembered correctly:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/install-ubuntu-mate-using-something-else-method/651

"Now select (highlight) the partition you want to use as your home and
click on "Change":

Now select "Use as" = Ext4
Format the partition = "NO" (DON'T PUT A TICK IN THE BOX!)
Mountpoint = "/home" (Forward slash and the word "home")

Click on "OK" if you are certain that the changes you just made are
correct:"

Regards,
Ralf