Out of Space

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Aug 8 16:47:59 UTC 2016

On Monday 08 August 2016 12:26:45 Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 August 2016 at 17:16, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 08 August 2016 05:27:29 Colin Law wrote:
> >>
> >> When asked where to install select "Something Else" then you can
> >> choose what you want with each partition.  If you leave the Format
> >> checkbox unticked it will not format that partition.
> >
> > But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
> > forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot
> > being 850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the
> > machines bios to reboot to at the end of the install.
> >
> >> Colin
> >
> > I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done
> > starting with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would
> > not let me out of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it
> > pleased on the 4th or 5th try. I have prepared a new disk with
> > gparted, and the *buntu installer can't see it as anything but an
> > unformatted, unpartitioned drive.
>
> Well that is very odd, I have done it many times with no problems. In
> fact I did it yesterday.

Goody. How did you do that?

> Are you able to replicate this and then let us examine what is going
> on?  I can only imagine there is something unusual about the way you
> are partitioning, but what that might be I have no idea.  The only way
> to find out is for you to get to that situation so it can be analysed.
>
> > IMNSHO thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken. So
> > when linuxcnc migrated to wheezy, that installer at least let me
> > partition it the way I wanted it. So all 4 machines in my home
> > network are running debian wheezy, very happily I might add.
>
> I think it is rather rude of you to say that what I have seen is BS.
> As I said, I have done it many times with no problems.  The solution
> is not for us to get into a slanging match but for you to get to a
> state where you can demonstrate this so we can isolate where the bug
> in Ubiquity is.
>
> Colin

My apologies for being rude, but this has been an extremely frustrating
experience since 6.04 LTS for me.

But at that stage of an install, how does one "save" the state?

No other writable storage is available when booting from optical media,
and I don't have a machine on the premises that can boot from a usb
dongle.

And, way to many keystrokes involved to write it down in longhand so you
can do a playback.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)