Upgrade from 14.04lts to 16.04lts won't finish boot into Gnome

Chris Pollock cpollock at embarqmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:34:51 UTC 2016

The upgrade went fine AFAICT yesterday morning. When it was finished and I rebooted it stopped at a tty1 login, it should have continued on to bring Gnome up. The cursor blinks a couple of times then disappears. I have to ctrl-alt f2 then ctrl-alt f1 to login. After logging in and running "systemctl status gdm" I see that it is in fact running. Top shows gdm3, gdm-session-wor, gdm-X-session, gnome-session-b and gnome-session-c all as running processes.

Any suggestions? I'm sure more info is probably needed. I'm able to SSH into the system via my tablet.

Chris