Laptop will not open Ubuntu

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 12 23:53:37 UTC 2016

At Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:28:28 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> When I try to open my laptop (which has Ubuntu 15.04 on it) It will go
> past Grub and then give me this error.
>
> -----------------
>
> fsck from util-linux 2.26.2
>
> /dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
>
> /dev/sda1: lnodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
>

> /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
> (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>
> fsck exited with status code 4
>
> The root filesystem on /den/sda1 requires a manual fsck
>

> BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
>
> Enter “help’ for a list of built-in commands.
>

> (initramfs)
>
> ---------------------
> I do not understand it. Please help me to correct this. Thank you,
> Dick Barmann

OK, one of two things happened:

1) Your hard drive has suffered a hard 'crash'.
2) You shut off your computer improperly.

you need to run the fsck command manually to fix this (assuming your hard
drive has not completely gone bad).

My guess is you need to type a command like:

fsck /dev/sda1

You should answer yes (or just y) to all of the questions.  If you are lucky,
fsck will fix all of the problems and you will then be able to reboot cleanly.
It is possible that the file system has been trashed.  In which case you will
need to reinstall.  It is (remotely) possible that that hard drive is gone.

You do have backups of your files, right?

I don't know what Ubuntu's BusyBox supports -- I have mostly dealt
with RedHat systems and have not had any sort of hard disk error like this in
decades (yes, I am 'anal retentitive about cleanly shutting down my computers
and have been for decades and yes, I have backups and run logwatch and keep
and eye on what smartd reports).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933