Bus error for long-running calculations on remote ZFS file system (?)

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon Apr 4 12:07:24 UTC 2016

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:54:23 +0200
Florian Oppermann <florian.oppermann at itp.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> Is there any known problems with ZFS mounts and programs running for a
> long time?

As you say, the file system an NFS server uses shouldn't matter. OTOH, I
believe ZFS has some hooks into the kernel NFS server code, but I don't
know what they do and how they work. What I can say is that I have
programs that have had data from ZFS+NFS exports running for days at a
time without seeing this.

What version of Ubuntu are you running? Are you using the zfs-native
PPA? If so, I believe there are both stable and a more experimental
version of that PPA, have you tried using the experimental (latest)
packages?

I suggest you try asking on #zfsonlinux on Freenode, those people
really know their stuff. You can also try #ubuntu-server, as a lot of
the regular users there are using ZFS. Alternatively, try the ZoL
mailing list if you are more comfortable with that.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"