Ubuntu 15.04 Linux Does Not Support the "exFat" Filesystem?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:31:20 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 September 2015 at 19:12, Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent at asu.edu>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> As I said I am only passing on what google suggests.  However if you
> >> install it and decide that was a mistake you can always uninstall it
> >> again.
> >
> > Colin's solution should work, but you will need the exfat-fuse package
> as well.
>
> I believe exfat-utils will pull in exfat-fuse automatically, at least
> it does on 15.10.

If the OP wants a testimonial, I have installed and used exfat-fuse &
exfat-utils and was able to format and use exFAT on flash devices (USB
sticks and SD cards) with no difficulty. I believe I was using Ubuntu 12.04
when I started, and now use Ubuntu 14.04 on that system.

As some may know, exFAT is more "modern" than FAT, allowing files larger
than 4GB, however it's probably not included in Ubuntu because it is
patent-encumbered by Microsoft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT