Looking for bookkeeping program that writes checks

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:45:05 UTC 2015

On 29 September 2015 at 09:24, Tony Baechler <bats at batsupport.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/2015 12:58 AM, Tony Arnold wrote:
>>
>> Tony,
>>
>> You could take a look at GnuCash. A quick google suggests it can write
>> cheques, but I've not tried that feature.
>

> Yes, but is it simple to use?  I had two people try it and they both said
> it's confusing, but I haven't used it.  Also, the package description does
> not mention this feature.  It says it imports QIF files, but doesn't say if
> it supports a really ancient version of Quicken or not.  I'm not ruling out
> your suggestion, but I want to make sure it's either really simple to use or
> similar enough to Quicken to avoid much of a learning curve.

Read the concepts guide and tutorial and decide for yourself.  It does
require understanding of the concepts of double entry bookkeeping but
any accounts package should require that.  In quicken they used the
concept of Category to represent the second side of each transaction
rather than expense accounts, but the difference is small.

Certainly if you want small business features then you must use double
entry accounting.

Colin