Ubuntu on Lenovo x61s - Help needed

Peter petergoggin at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 12 23:55:50 UTC 2015

I did check that  it rejected a bad password and accepted the good
password. I have tried looking at the disk when mounted on a usb port on
another Ubuntu laptop. Again a good password was  accepted and a bad
password clearly rejected. I also tried the inbuilt BIOS disk check
program on the original laptop. The disk failed with and the system
error message was to the effect i needed to get help.

I have now installed Ubuntu on a replacement disk and am slowly
recovering the lost data. Much of exists on paper so I have actually
lost very little data. (Something to be said for paper records)

  I checked the disk which had the latest backups on and it too is dead.
I was unfortunate to have had two disks die in the same period

I always check backups when completed to see that I can read the files.
I create backups copying the home directory to an appropriately named
directory on the backup disks which means the backup can be read on any
computer via a usb link.

Thank you all  for your help and suggestions.

Regards
Peter Goggin