Utilities apparently missing from Ubuntu15.10

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 09:38:27 UTC 2015

On 31/10/2015, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:55:26 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have just installed UbuntuMATE 15.04 amd64 version, to replace
>> Ubuntu.10.04 on a computer upon which I had been running Debian 6, so
>> as to have the latest software, whilst retaining the interface.
>>
>> Having just got the UbuntuMATE 15.10 installation set up and running,
>> I can not find the Software Centre utility, or Synaptic, for finding
>> and adding available software.
>
> Synaptic is not installed by default, you will need to install it
> manually. Software Center is installed by default in standard Ubuntu,
> but that doesn't seem to be the case for the MATE flavor. You should be
> able to install it, though.
>
>> Are these utilities still available?
>
> Yes. Use 'sudo apt-get install synaptic' to install. (Exchange
> 'synaptic' for 'software-center' if you want that instead, but IMO
> Synaptic is a much better program for installing packages).
>
>> If so, why is the Software Centre not included in the installation iso CD
>> image?
>
> Lubuntu, for example, doesn't install Software Centre by default, I
> would guess it uses something else - like Synaptic or install packages
> manually. I assume this is also true for Ubuntu MATE, since
> software-center is not a dependency of ubuntu-mate-desktop. It is only
> a suggestion along with synaptic of mate-menu, which depends on
> ubuntu-mate-core.
>
> You could file a bug report against ubuntu-mate-desktop to see what the
> developers have to say about it, there might be a reason for this or
> it could just be an oversight.
>
> Petter
>
> --
> "I'm ionized"
> "Are you sure?"
> "I'm positive."

Thank you for that.

Synaptic did not install using apt-get, due to unmet dependencies, so
I installed the Software Center as you described, and then used that
to install Synaptic.

I have found that having both installed, is good - if something does
not work so well with one, then an alternative option is available.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."