What is Chromium doing unseen?

Chas IRONS ironscf at telkomsa.net
Tue Oct 27 17:24:23 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 13:52 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On 27 October 2015 at 13:45, Chas IRONS <ironscf at telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
> Please don't hijack someone's thread to ask about a different problem.
> Start a new thread instead.
>

> > I don't understand the difference between Chrome and Chromium either but it
> > seems only Chromium is included in Ubuntu releases.
> >
> > I noticed the System Monitor showing several Chromium programs for some
> > minutes. I assume they are collecting data about my usage,
>
> What makes you assume that?  If you want to reply then please start
> another thread as suggested above.
>
> Colin

Sorry. I thought my comments were relevant to the original questioner. "Latest Chrome doesn't run"

I noticed the System Monitor showing several Chromium programs running
for some minutes. I assume they are collecting data about my usage,  but
it is using my broadband allocation which is quite expensive here. So I
have switched to using Firefox only until I see similar behaviour by it.

I would like your advice on this data collection running in the
background . How much of this activity is reasonable? How do I track it
anyhow?

Thanks again. Chas.