Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 21:29:52 UTC 2015

On 22 October 2015 at 22:07, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 October 2015 at 18:43, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Sometimes my touchscreen does not work and a few other issues, so I
>> > thought
>> > I'd load up an earlier kernel.  Ubuntu 14 is my only operating system so
>> > you
>> > should be able to choose other kernels (I have at least 1 other
>> > installed)
>> > by holding the shift key down.  Nada.
>> >

>> > http://askubuntu.com/questions/87409/i-cant-get-grub-menu-to-show-up-during-boot
>> >
>> > There are some remedies here.  I wonder if anyone here has a suggestion.
>>
>> So which of those have you tried?  In particular what have you got in
>> /etc/default/grub.  Maybe copy/paste it here.
>

> Not tried any, looking for advice first.

OK, I assumed that you had looked there and done a bit of googling to
see what it all means but could not get it to work.  See [1] for a
description of what the settings do

I think that if you change
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=

Then it should show the boot menu for 10 seconds (as you have
GRUB_TIMEOUT  set to that).

I say 'think' because actually I just have that line commented out,
but I see from the wiki page that the recommended suggestion is to set
it to blank.

Don't forget to run
sudo update-grub
after saving the file.