consistent UIDs across multiple systems.

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon Oct 19 08:44:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:21:14 +0200
<silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> Consider never to use a search engine and to e.g. search using a term
> as e.g. "linux change user id" :p.

To be fair, Ralf, I think he was more looking for input on whether he
should synchronize the UIDs manually or use something like NIS or LDAP.

But I could be wrong.

> https://duckduckgo.com -> linux change user id ->
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-change-rename-user-name-id/
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18248056/change-user-id-in-linux
> etc.
>
> FWIW the first user on Linux usually gets the ID 1000 and on FreeBSD
> usually 1001.
>
> Be careful with changing ownership of directories and files using the
> find command. I don't remember why it's tricky, but once I changed
> ownership on a FreeBSD install from 1001 to 1000 and IIRC the FreeBSD
> mailing list community and I failed to notice an issue when using find.

I can't recall ever having any problems doing just that, but of course
there will always be corner cases. I'd be interested to know if you
remember any details, though.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"