Query about monitoring unknown Internet traffic

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 04:41:19 UTC 2015

On 19/10/2015, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 02:26 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> I assume that that means shutting down all the applications that are
>> currently open.
>
> Yes - if you need a new login to your existing X server. I guess you
> have to decide how likely it is that the traffic requires urgent
> investigation.
>
> However, as previously mentioned, you DO NOT NEED to change groups to
> use wireshark. Just run wireshark as root from a terminal window:
>
>    gksudo wireshark
>
> Regards, K.

I tried to run gksudo wireshark, but nothing happened, so, after a
couple of minutes, I did <CTRL><C> .

I am unfamiliar with the gksudo command.

I then tried to run sudo wireshark , and got the following errore message.

"Lua: error during loading:
[string "/usr/share/wireshark/init.lua"]:46:dofile has been disabled
due to running Wireshark as superuser.See
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges for help in
running Wireshark as an unprivileged user."

So, it appears that wireshark can not be run as a superuser, and it is
designed to be difficult to be run as an ordinary user.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."