[URGENT] How Do I Fix Thunderbird Email Client User Profile Corruption?

silver.bullet at zoho.com silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Oct 7 11:09:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 18:37:13 +0800, Teo En Ming wrote:
>But now, whenever I start Thunderbird using the 2nd user profile, the
>folder pane on the left would not show up at all.

I'm not a Thunderbird user, but I suspect there's an option in a view
menu to enable and disable folder pane view. Perhaps you accidentally
disabled the view by a short cut.

>$ cd /usr/lib
>
>$ sudo mv thunderbird thunderbird.31.8.0
>
>$ cd
>
>$ cd Downloads/
>
>$ tar xfvj thunderbird-38.3.0.tar.bz2
>
>$ sudo mv thunderbird /usr/lib
>
>$ cd /usr/lib/thunderbird
>
>$ ./thunderbird

Regarding the file list at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/thunderbird this could work, but it
still is an utterly bad way to move the lib folder.

I would build Thunderbird from source against the currently
installed dependency libs, however, if you should insist of going this
way, then consider to move the old thunderbird completely out of the lib
folder. Btw. did you run ldconfig?

Perhaps running ldconfig isn't required, this depends on how the libs
are linked. Maybe installing to opt is smarter than installing to lib.

Btw. for several reasons it doesn't harm to purge the old Thunderbird
package ;).

Regards,
Ralf