Deleting Swap Partition

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Oct 2 06:35:37 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:55:39 +0900
Bradley Harvey <inflatus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running my 15.04 on a Thinkpad with an SSD installed. I added some
> extra RAM and the Swap doesn't seem to be getting hit at all now. Is it
> advisable to delete the swap partition?

That depends on your circumstances. If you plan on using hibernation you
will need swap, for example. Of course, if you delete it and later find
out that you need swap after all, you can always add a swap file.

In general, I'd keep it unless I needed the disk space for something
else. If you just want to avoid using swap unless absolutely necessary,
you can use 'sysctl' to set the kernel parameter 'vm.swappiness' to a
low value, like 1.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"