How do I Automount an Hard dRive in my Computer in Ubuntu?

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 30 14:05:37 UTC 2015

On 11/29/2015 01:17 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 20:51:21 -0500, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> 	Warning! Ralf likes to insult anybody and piss off newbies.
>>
>> 	Ralf, do you ever take a moment to consider just how much of
>> 	an asshole
>> you come across as?
>>
>> 	I hope you don't intend to sound like a self-righteous
>> 	egotistical
>> bastard...
>
> Tourette :D? It's not the first time you behave like this.

	Nor you.

> I'm just subscribed since a short time, however, within this time you
> didn't contribute something useful, I'm quite sure I already did.

	Quantity of contributions has nothing to do with quality. And I've been
here a bit longer.I haven't contributed much, since either a) someone
provided an answer before I saw the message or b) I didn't have the answer.

> And now again something useful:
>
> - If you want to mount devices at startup use fstab, do not use desktop
>    environment related apps.

	Why not? Works just fine. I do it all the time.

> - To use fstab read the Ubuntu help, do not copy mtab entries, they are
>    not equal to fstab entries.

	No question there.

> - Note, just because a device can be mounted in different ways, doesn't
>    mean that each way is the right way for each reason to mount a device.

	Yep. No need to use a hatchet to cut a 2x4...

> - Mount by UUID at startup and nothing else, unless you are sure
>    that other ways to mount are really ok too.

	/dev/sd* lines work as well.

> - Drives mounted at startup from time to time should automatically run
>    fsck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

	General maintenance, of course.

> Since you call me names, prove the above hints wrong Dave! If you can't
> prove them wrong, do newbies a favour and shut up.

	If you were paying attention, my complaint is how you present the
information.

> Do you think it's good, if newbies do something wrong?

	Not good, but it's not completely bad, either. It's how people learn.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.