kate NEARLY usable for remote files

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Nov 28 18:17:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:51:47 +0100
robert rottermann <robert at redcor.ch> wrote:

> On 26.11.2015 22:27, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:43:45 +0100
> > robert rottermann <robert at redcor.ch> wrote:

> >> yes we did ..
> >> and I am using 15.10 now.

> >> no it has nothing to do with kate, as kate runs fine when I install
> >> kubuntu.
> >>
> >> I am using unity and did install kate on top of it.
> >> I tried to install kde-desktop together with unity. but this
> >> produces an error and fails.
> >> It seems to be some missing titbit in a unity installation.
> > There is a package named 'kio-extras' that seems to contain some
> > sort of module for ssh - I didn't examine it too closely. If that
> > is not installed, can you try installing it and see if that helps?

> >> I have no other KDE applications really.
> > You could install one and remove it after testing. This information
> > would be helpful in filing a bug report.

> >> sftp does not work either.
> > Then there is probably a problem with ssh support in general. Try
> > installing the package mentioned above. If that doesn't help, you
> > need to try another KDE application with KIO support to see if it
> > works there, in order to determine whether to file the bug against
> > kio or kate itself.
> >
> > Petter
> thanks petter,
> I had installed kio-extras before.
> Now I installed also konqueror. It opens urls with the fish://
> protocol nicely. urls using sftp:// do not work (but I have not used
> sftp the last 100 years, so maybe I just use a wrong syntax).
>
> So it seems that it is kate that has problems OPENING files using
> fish over its standard open dialog.
>
> and it is not kate. I just installed kubuntu in a virtual machine,
> and there kate can use the fish protocoll just fine.
>
> so this is a kate & unity problem.

Well, I just installed kate here on Xubuntu 15.10, and got a
KIO-related error message when trying to open a file with the fish
protocol, so I installed kio-extras, and then it worked just fine. There
is probably some missing dependency on your installation, but I can't
tell you which one :(

Have you tried purging kate, kio and kio-extras and reinstalling them,
making sure to install any Recommends from them or from any dependencies
that seem relevant? Since it works fine under XFCE there should be no
reason it doesn't under Unity.

Does Unity have an option to start KDE services? If so, enable it and
log out and back in again before trying kate again.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"