wifi driver query

silver.bullet at zoho.com silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Nov 7 08:29:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 23:26:13 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
>In reading about  kernel 4.3 I see that the driver for the Realtek
>8192e wifi radio is to be updated. I have one of these now using
>kernel 3.16.0 as part of U14.04. Where can I ask if the updated
>driver will be present in 16.04? I've been thinking of updating to
>that in the Spring when it becomes available. I don't understand where
>I can find out. Anyone?

Ask a crystal ball. The development branch provides 4.2 at the moment.
In Debian experimental there's 4.3 available. 15.10 quasi was released a
few days ago, so development for the next released just started. You
could follow the development by the Ubuntu package search and by the
Debian tracker [1]. FWIW everybody who has got the ability to subscribe
to a mailing list, should be able to read how to build a kernel. If a
kernel shouldn't be provided by the repositories, you don't need to be
a coder or power user. Even non-geeks easily can build kernel packages,
as described by the help pages and Wikis [2]. I didn't read explicitly
this Wiki, but I noticed that the Wiki seems not to verify the
downloaded kernel source, read how to do this here [3].
I need to build kernels packages myself, since Ubuntu doesn't provide
real-time patched kernels. To do that I build linux packages the
old Debian way, further more I build them the old Debian way, without
using fakeroot. This can be done with Ubuntu and those kernels are
good for Ubuntu, but I only will describe how to do that, assumed
building a kernel using the Ubuntu Wikis should fail.

[1]
http://packages.ubuntu.com/

->

"Package linux-image

    xenial: Virtual package
    provided by: linux-image-4.2.0-16-generic,
                 linux-image-4.2.0-16-lowlatency" -
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=linux-image&searchon=names&suite=xenial&section=all

https://tracker.debian.org/

->