Creating a Windows VM Inside Ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:19:28 UTC 2015

On 2 November 2015 at 12:35, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a bit stumped:
>
> A friend of mine just graduated from Graphics Design school. Of course, all
> design schools teach Adobe products only (Photosop, InDesing, etc.) - god
> forbid any Open Source alternatives...
>
> Putting *that* discussion aside....
>
> A few days ago he came to me and said "I am sick of this POS OS" (referring
> to Windows  8.1 installed on his super charged Asus laptop). "i'd like you
> to install Ubuntu on my laptop, but I need to be able to use Adobe and my PC
> games on it."
>
> I tried to install his (legal) Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 by following a
> tutorial, but all the menus were mangled and distorted and I was afraid he
> will encounter problems in the future.
>
> So I had an idea of installing his Windows as a Headless VM so he can run it
> only when he needs to work on Adobe or play the games that cannot be
> installed on Ubuntu. I need your advice:
>
> How to do it as painless as possible?
> Should I use KVM or Virtualbox?

If he wants to change OS, realistically, he has to change apps.

Running apps from one OS under another will never be a good
experience. It will always be inferior to an all-native setup, and
therefore it will give a bad experience of Ubuntu.

If you use WINE, you get at best partial functionality and partial
integration with the host OS.

If you use a VM, you still are running the problematic OS. He still
needs to maintain it, patch and update it, protect it with
antimalware, etc.

I'd suggest an upgrade to Win10, or a downgrade to Win7.

If he is wedded to Adobe apps, then he needs to try a Mac.

Sorry, but you were specific, and what you ask will never yield a happy ending.