network problem

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu May 21 07:26:31 UTC 2015

On 21 May 2015 at 07:38, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> OS/2 is my primary operating system.  I am learning Linux/Ubuntu.
>
> My laptop has OS/2 and two partitions of Ubuntu (unity).  I also have a desktop
> that has Ubuntu (unity) that is used as file and print server.  All the Ubuntu
> partitions have now been upgraded to 15.04 (the network (both local and remote)
> with Ubuntu 14.10 worked without problems).  The local LAN works without
> problems in all partitions.  On the laptop OS/2 and one Ubuntu partition the
> remote network works without problems.  The other laptop Ubuntu partition and
> the desktop Ubuntu partition the remote network has problems.  Ping looses
> about 90% of the packets and Firefox can sometimes get a web page displayed but
> it takes forever.
>
> My problem is I do not know where to go to troubleshoot the problem.  I could
> not find which drivers are being used.  Any assistance will be appreciated.

What is the difference between the two Ubuntu partitions on the laptop
(the one that when booted is ok and the one that is not)?

Are you using wired ethernet or wifi?

On the one that fails look in /var/log/syslog and see if anything
obvious is there.  Both when the network fails and during boot when it
sets up the interface.

Colin