Installed Programs Viewing

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed May 20 07:00:33 UTC 2015

On 20 May 2015 at 01:10,  <agents4jesus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What’s the bash command to view installed programs?
>
> I’m basically running out of HD space and am looking for programs to throw
> out.

Usually unused programs do not take up much space, usually it is more
profitable to get rid of old deb files and so on.  In a terminal run
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

then get rid of old kernels, I think that if you are using 14.04 or
later then autoremove will get rid of them automatically but if using
earlier than that you need to do it manually, see
http://askubuntu.com/questions/2793/how-do-i-remove-or-hide-old-kernel-versions-to-clean-up-the-boot-menu,
the section on permanently deleting old kernels, I prefer the synaptic
method there.  Make sure you read that section carefully though and do
not delete the current kernel or you will be in trouble.

Also install ncdu
sudo apt-get install ncdu
and run

sudo ncdu -x \

Which will scan the machine and show you a sorted list of disc usage
for directories, and if you are anything like me you will find a
number of GB videos and such like that you had forgetten about.

If you don't want to install ncdu then the command line
cd \
sudo du -k * | sort -nr | cut -f2 | xargs -d '\n' du -sh | more
does pretty much the same thing but not as conveniently.

I presume you have already emptied the Trash

Colin