15.04 Server will not boot reliably after install

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon May 4 10:37:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:33:02 +0000
Grant Albitz <Grant at schultztechnology.com> wrote:

> I have installed 15.04 server on a dell r720. I am unable to boot the
> system normally. It worked fine on 14.10.
>
> It hangs at 1 of 2 places:
>
> 1. Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
> or sometimes
> 2. Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
>
> no error displayed
>
> The console is unresponsive at this point and i have to power the
> server off.
>
> If i choose the recovery boot option i can initialize the network and
> then tell the system to boot normally and it will (sometimes). once i
> am in this environment what can i do to obtain better information as
> to why the system failed to boot last time?

You can go digging for information in /var/log - I would especially
take a look at /var/log/boot.log, kern.log and dmesg.

> Other times a recovery boot results in a kernel panic, i am not able
> to scroll up to see the entire message but i attached what i can see.

That's not good, it could indicate a driver/firmware/hardware problem.
Have you run memtest86? Maybe it would be a good idea to do a few runs
if you can spare the time. It could also be a kernel bug, that an
upgrade would fix, it is impossible to know without more information.
Start with the logs.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"