updates requiring keyboard input

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:36:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 15:30 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > do you have apt-listchanges installed ? i haven't used it in like 8
> > years but iirc this is what it does (showing all changelogs every time
> > you update, waiting for you to confirm you saw them)
>
> I do have it installed, yes. I installed it a couple of weeks ago before
> I discovered the "changelog" option to apt-get. That timing is roughly
> consistent with the update-manager issue, too.
>
> It is plausible that this is what's causing it, though none of the apt,
> apt-get, apt-listchanges or (very minimal) update-manager man pages
> mention any such behaviour. It also seems odd that the changelog is only
> displayed for ONE package and not for all.
>
> I will watch the future behaviour of update-manager very carefully to
> try and gather more info, then try deleting the apt-listchanges package
> to see if it helps.

if you need any more encouragement, this sounds EXACTLY like the sort of
thing I was imagining that might cause update-manager to fail -- it's
probably not coded to handle the output from apt-listchanges and if it had
come up in testing I suspect they would have added a conflict to the
relevant update-manager package so you couldn't install both at the same
time.